Thursday 22 May 2014

Different versions of Third Brake Light (Hi Stop Light) for 1965 Mustang Convertible.








First I tried a Hella slim line  third brake light but I couldn't get myself to drill holes in my boot lid. So I fitted a magnetic pad under the light and this served as a temporary Hi Stop Light. 


NOTE:  when wiring in a third brake light you have to wire it up to the brake light switch with an inline fuse to protect it.
If you wire up to the taillight circuit at the rear of the car you will have a problem with your indicators, the wiring for the brakes goes through the indicator switch on its way to the bake lights. This is why you have to wire it at the brake switch.





Later I came up with the idea of fitting a red LED light strip that I bought on Ebay and mounted it to the thin stainless strip behind the back seat.
That way it could be seen with the roof up or down.








 




                                                     Perfectly visible with roof up.


Third Brake light using Red LEDs mounted and wired up, works well roof up or down.

If you want to have the cover on when the roof is folded down, the solution is to get one sewed into the cover or fitted to the stainless moulding.



Which is what I did next.







5 comments:

  1. I want to do this as well with a small LED in my fastback.
    Can I ask about the wiring at the brake switch?
    Red to what....black to what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    With the brake wiring in the Mustang it all goes through the indicator stalk so you will have problems wiring up a third brake light switch if you try hooking in to the wires at the brake lights.
    From memory you have to go through the brake switch, what I did was hooked up the red to a separate fuse holder to the hot end of the brake switch and then the other end was earthed.

    Let me know how you get on if you still have problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I just remembered something else Led's can only be wired one way so the red has to be at the switch end and the black at the ground end.I you wire it up the other way it just won't light up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still have the Hella light? I'd like to buy it off of you if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have link for 3rd brake light strip

    ReplyDelete